Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Will Walk for Peace

The university where I teach has a Peace collection on the second floor of the library.  Since the special collections room doubles as a writing center, I tend to hang out there quite a bit.  About four months ago, I was scanning the stacks and happened to notice a small hardback called Peace Pilgrim.  Intrigued by the title, I checked the book out and read it over the next several weeks.  The more I read and reflected on the book's message, the more my initial curiosity and mild interest in the book and its subject grew.  I recommended it to my wife, who also found it very interesting, and the book has become a favorite topic of discussion between us.  Once in awhile, I read a book that affects me so strongly that I want to inflict it on all my friends.  Peace Pilgrim is such a book.  The book was published in 1991, and I'm pretty sure it's no longer in print.  All the more reason to share some of its wisdom.

As its title implies, this book is the story of a pilgrim for peace.  After 15 years of preparation, this woman began her first cross country pilgrimage in 1953 from Pasadena, Calfornia. So devoted was she to the cause of peace that she rejected her legal name and took the name Peace Pilgrim.  The compilers of the book honoring her describe her pilgrimages:

"Peace Pilgrim walked alone and penniless and with no orgnaizational backing. She walked 'as a prayer' and as a chance to inspire others to pray and work for peace. She wore navy blue shirt and slacks, and a short tunic with pockets all around the bottom in which she carried her only worldly possessions: a comb, a folding toothbrush, a ballpoint pen, copies of her message and her current correspondence."

And she kept it up.  This was no one-time, publicity seeking event.  By 1964, she had completed 25,000 miles on foot for peace.  She vowed "to remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace," and she was faithful to her promise.  Before her death, in 1981, she would walk in all 50 states and complete seven cross-country pilgrimages. 

Peace Pilgrim talked with thousands of people on her journeys and was often interviewed on radio and TV. Wherever she went she carried a comprehensive message of peace: in her words, "peace among nations, peace among groups, peace within our environment, peace among individuals, and the very, very important inner peace--which I talk about most often because that is where peace begins."

Peace Pilgrim never wrote a book; her pilgrimages were her message.  But after her death, friends compiled many of her words from various sources, and these are clearly the most powerful ones in the book.  Here are some of the words that stood out to me:

On inner peace: " In the final analysis, only as we become more peaceful people will we be findng ourselves living in a more peaceful world."

On simplicity: "In the middle ages the pilgrims went out as the disciples were sent out--without money, without food, without adequate clothing--and I know that tradition. I have no money. I do not accept any money on my pilgrimage. I belong to no organization. I own only what I wear and carry. There is nothing to tie me down. I am as free as a bird soaring in the sky."

On faith and goodness:  "I walk until given shelter, fast until given food. I don't ask--it's given without asking. Aren't people good! There is a spark of good in everybody, no matter how deeply it may be buried, it is there. I call it the God-centered nature or the divine nature. Jesus called it the Kingdom of God within."

On her central message:  "This is the way of peace--overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love."

On the practice of peace: "Please don't say lightly that these are just religious concepts and not practical. These are laws governing human conduct, which apply as rigidly as the laws of gravity. When we disregard these laws in any walk of life, chaos results. Through obedience to these laws this world of ours will enter a period of peace and richness of life beyond our fondest dreams. The key word for our time is practice. We have all the light we need; we just need to put it into practice."

Peace's words are simple, but they sound wise to me.  Their simplicity is not a simplicity of naivete but a simplicity that reminds me most often of the words of one of the prophets or Jesus.  I wonder why I've never heard of her until now.  If someone believes so strongly in her message that she sells all that she has and spends her life on a pilgrimage to share it, something tells me I should at least give her a hearing.

Of course, I know there's all sorts of reasons I've never heard of her.  Personally, I grew up in a religious tradition (and a part of the country) that pretty much discounted the idea of peace as impractical.  Those who took seriously the possibility of a world without conflict and war were viewed as naive at best and un-American at worst.  Today I often wonder how we reconciled these attitudes with our Christian faith. I'm sure we read Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount and his admonition to Peter to put away his sword, but somehow it never occurred to us to apply those words in "real life."

Here's a sobering thought:  In the 1970s Peace Pilgrim believed we had entered a crisis period in human history "walking the brink between a nuclear war of annihilation and a golden age of peace." Some 30 years later, how much has changed?

Reading about Peace Pilgrim has done more than make me question my years of unthinking acceptance of the inevitability of war.  Reading her philosophies of inner peace, simplicity, and living to give have caused me to reevaluate many aspects of my theory and practice.  There's too much to say, and maybe this merits another blog, but for now just let me say this:  I've studied the ways of war, the ways of materialism, and the ways of selfishness for much too long.  From now on, I intend to learn the way of peace.  With God's help, I want to overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. This is an inspirational review and one that has prompted me to find a copy of this book in order that I might read it this summer.

    Peace, I would like to think, is the ultimate goal of humankind. Even those who fight wars dream that one day they will be able to put their guns and bombs aside and be in fellowship with others. Oftentimes when we think of peace we think of the absence of fighting, however, finding this inner peace that Peace Pilgrim speaks of is truly our greatest battle. I think it was Brother Lawrence who wrote about the inner and outer life, the contemplative life and the life of action and service. Even those who with great dedication strive to daily live in contemplation on the things of God find that it is the inner distractions, our own chaotic voices, that lead to an unrest of peace. If we cannot succeed in the contemplative life, being moved to genuine action and service is next to impossible.

    I am reminded that I have a long way to go; there is much work to do in order to find peace in this life. I do not believe it is impossible, just difficult. It begins with freeing ourselves to be at one with God in all ways possible, to opening our hearts and our minds so that God can work freely on the canvas of our souls. Peace begins with remembering whose we are and to whom we belong. This, it seems is what we have most forgotten and what we most need to remember. On the road to finding true peace, humanity's greatest obstacle is indeed itself.

    I look forward to reading Peace Pilgrim and thank you for your review. It has inspired me already to attempt to take on the ways of peaceful living once more, to remember that if we are to share Christ with others we cannot allow life to get in the way of truly living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly,

    I'm not surprised that you found Peace Pilgrim's story inspiring because I think you have incorporated many of the principles of peace in your life. Like you, I was struck by her emphasis on inner peace. Janet and I have talked a lot about the fact that her ideas are so simple yet powerful. She lived with such focus and intentionality that most lack. She also has some amazing things to say about the importance of finding out what God intended for you to do and living that out. I think she calls it finding your place in the universal plan. Let me know if you find the book what you think. Thanks for the encouragement! Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who grew up with a father as conscientious objector, I had to think seriously about these ideas as a teen during the Vietnam war era. It has changed the trajectory of my life and I appreciate your reference to the possibility of living out Christian principles in 'real life'. This post is even more apropos, considering the recent firestorm over Islam in this country - I have been shocked and disappointed in what seems like insecure over-reaction on the part of a so-called Christian nation.

    ReplyDelete